18 November 2010

Joanna Newsom. My love.

Joanna Newsom-0516

After an amazing launch party at the Saturn Bar on Friday (review to come this week + photos!!), it was time to relax on Saturday evening with one of my favorite female vocalists, Joanna Newsom. I had the privilege of seeing her once while I was living in London. She played at a venue called the Southbank Center for two nights.

My expectations of seeing her were a bit jaded due to this experience earlier in the year. The Southbank Center is a beautiful concert hall. It is built for pristine acoustics, usually a symphony of sorts, and the audience is seated. Seats! Tipitina's really needed seats...
Joanna Newsom-0557

While I was excited to see Joanna in such a legendary New Orleans venue, it proved frustrating as I could not see over the incredibly still crowd. Joanna's voice sounds just as one would hope; pristine. How someone with such a pretty and unique voice also happens to pick up such a pretty and unique instrument is a gift to us all.

Joanna was accompanied by a four person band, including one member on the jaw harp (odd). She played a nice mix from her newest album along with some old favorites. I felt like the set ended just as I grasped it was happening (it was relatively short), but she did come out for a two song encore of "Good Intentions Paving Company" and a crowd favorite "Peach, Plum, Pear."

I would highly recommend anyone going to see Joanna Newsom if given the chance. Unlike any other performance I have seen this year, Newsom is bound to impress and leave one feeling like they were just involved in something truly special.
Joanna Newsom-8384

-Article by Aaron Saltzman
-Photos by Josh Brasted
For more pictures from the show,
check out Joshua's Flickr.

No comments: